by Certified Aromatherapist KG Stiles, LMT, RBT, CBP, NCTMB
Keywords: RESPIRATORY SUPPORT, DECONGESTANT, PAIN RELIEVER
For long term health and vitality strengthening your immune system is your primary consideration. Eucalyptus oil is one of the best oils to choose for immune support and health. Here’s why, along with the methods of application I recommend, as well as other essential oils to choose for making a powerful immune stimulant blend.
EUCALYPTUS ( Eucalyptus globulus ) – Refreshing, stimulating and powerful Eucalyptus is a long lasting oil with fluid consistency and one of the most well-known aromas of all the essential oils, along with lavender, rose and mint. Most people can easily recognize any one of these aromas.
Eucalyptus brings to mind the family medicine cabinet. Certainly many traditional, as well as modern day medicine, contain Eucalyptus. Strongly anti-bacterial and anti-viral its healing potency is widely recognized and highly valued.
Eucalyptus is a powerful respiratory aid and has a strong influence on breathing and is helpful for regenerating lung tissue and function.
Eucalyptus stimulates oxygen uptake in our cell tissues and increases circulation. Increased oxygenation in the lungs promotes the cleansing and repair function of red blood cells.
Eucalyptus is an excellent blood cleanser!
For treating bronchial problems use Eucalyptus as an inhalant, or diffuse in the air. May also use in a dilution of light coconut oil or jojoba and apply liberally to the chest and upper back areas.
Reputation as a good expectorant (promotes removal of mucous from respiratory system) and cough suppressant.
Eucalyptus is helpful for easing inflammation of the nasal mucous membranes, as well as nasal congestion.
Powerful anti-bacterial properties may be effective in the treatment of a broad spectrum of infections.
Fever reducer! Eucalyptus is helpful for relieving fevers that arise from infectious diseases. Useful in cool compresses; apply to the forehead, back of neck, over the kidneys and pelvic region. Only a small amount is needed otherwise may produce a chilling effect.
Eucalyptus is a traditional remedy for sinusitis, bronchitis, asthma, strep throat, colds and flu, hay fever, catarrh, coughs, sinus headache and tension headaches due to congestion.
Eucalyptus is a powerful antiseptic agent. Its powerful germicidal properties effectively kill staphylococcus bacteria and have been used to treat tuberculosis.
Research scientists Dr Lindsey Gaunt and Sabrina Higgins from the University of Southampton have found that essential oils, such as eucalyptus, orange and thyme can destroy bacteria, such as Escherichia coli (E. coli) and Staphylococcus aureus (staph) on surfaces.
The findings that essential oils could be effectively destroy bacteria were unveiled at the sixth joint symposium of the International Electrostatics Society of Japan and the Electrostatics Society of America conference in Tokyo (Nov 7-10, 2004).
The scientists used essential oils of orange, eucalyptus, thyme and tea tree which, when dispersed into the air, had a powerful bactericidal effect.
They said that the use of these essential oils could help people to easily and conveniently kill bacteria lurking in their homes.
The researchers are planning further studies to see if essential oils are effective against the super bug MRSA among other strains of bacteria.
METHODS OF APPLICATION:
Through cellular respiration, or breathing, aromatic vapors enter your lungs for immediate release into your blood stream for distribution to every cell in your body. Research shows that essential oils will remain in your bloodstream for up to 4-6 hours.
1) MICRO DIFFUSION uses a nebulizing diffuser that will break oil into millions of micro particles. It disperses oils without the heating that can render them therapeutically less beneficial.
Research shows that cold-air diffusing certain oils may:
1) Reduce bacteria, fungus, mold and unpleasant odors
2) Relax and relieve tension, as well as clear the mind
3) Help with weight management
4) Improve concentration, alertness and mental clarity
Start by diffusing oils only 15-30 minutes per day. As you become accustomed to the oils and recognize the effects, increase the time. In illness, inhale near the “mouth” of the nebulizer. A short session of breathing in the oils for 4-5 minutes should be sufficient, repeat every few hours.
2) AIR DIFFUSION has a basket in which a pad with drops of oils are applied. A small fan blows cool air through the oils lifting them into the air for dispersal. This is a cost effective way for diffusing the oils and has the benefits of micro-diffusion and isespecially good for scenting a room
3) AROMATIC MIST – Use as a room spray and deodorizer. DIRECTIONS – To 4 ounces of distilled water add 80-120 drops of your essential oil, shake well and spray
4) COMPRESS ~ Excellent for topical application to relieve fever. Disperse 4-8 drops of oil in a teaspoon of milk or honey and add to a small stainless steel bowl of hot water. Absorb the “COOL” water into a wash cloth wring out excess water and apply compress to neck and head areas, repeat when your cloth looses its coolness. You may cover the cool cloth with a plastic sheet or a towel to keep it “COOL” longer. For Chills use a “HOT” compress instead!
5) GARGLE ~ May use as a gargle to relieve sore throat!
IMMUNE STIMULANT BLEND: Lemon, Clove Bud, Tea Tree, Thyme, Lavender, Rosemary, Ravensara, Cinnamon Leaf and Cinnamon Bark.